Designed to make you want to read books!

Monday 12 March 2012

Book Review - The Placebo Effect


I really enjoyed this book and I especially enjoyed it because it surprised me. I had been looking forward to reading it for a few weeks now and even with my prior enthusiasm, this book was better than I thought it would be.
Decker Roberts has an unusual gift. It's something he has always had and is very valuable to a great many people. Decker has the ability to tell with absolute certainty when people are telling the truth. He lends his talents out to anyone who wishes to use them, for a fee. Privately of course. To the vast majority of the world his ability remains a secret, but to a select few, his ability is one of the most valuable assets in the world. Decker is a synaesthete. An individual with unique talents created from a mixing of the senses. He is part of a secret network of such people, though he doesn't fit in. He is special. After a strange encounter with another man of equally impressive abilities, Decker becomes the target of a dangerous enemy with an international reach. As his life is made progressively more difficult, Decker is forced to go on the run. As if things aren't complicated enough, the NSA are also on his trail for reasons unknown. Everything begins closing in around him and even those he trusts most begin to turn on him. And worst of all, they have his son.
The Placebo Effect is a thrilling story with a unique idea behind it. I think it focuses on some very important aspects of life; the ability to tell the truth and the importance of family. It's something that I am seeing less of every day and I admire David Rotenberg for bringing our attention to these things. This was a great read and I recommend it to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment